|The Outreach Observer||
A blog charting my adventure in using the Charterhouse Observatory to observe exoplanets
So, just another brief update on whats been happening recently;
Following a number of problems over quite a long period of time, we will be removing the tracking motors from the Fullerscope's mount, and AWR (the manufacturer) are going to do some modifications to them such that the current "RA Slip" is resolved. This should hopefully mean that the scope slews completely accurately over large areas of the sky, and we can better utilize the intelligent handset. This pretty simple thing is unimaginably vital to the operation of the telescope, both for research purposes and for outreach.
The telescope is so vast that its really tricky to keep getting up to the eyepiece to verify the object is in the eyepiece and re-shuffling when its not. So this is a great piece of work.
Last night we were joined up at the observatory by a small group of friends for a casual "show & tell" observation evening, which I am pleased to say was very well received. It also helped that we were blessed with amazingly clear skies!
Once we had completed the show and tell, we managed to collect some image data of Regulus.
We are still finding our feet with imaging so we are trying to practice as much as possible on random targets, such that when we get a good long clear night, we can collect some data from our target variable (This is for our verification for KELT).
Having calibrated and processed the data, we were able to achieve images with a precision of 1/1000th of a magnitude. This is a great achievement, and is very promising for our future project.
Images from the Observing Session
Image Credit - Hollie Stickland